This novel - a sequel to Dear Levi - gives the reader a small sample of the Underground Railroad experience. This unit aims to focus students' attention on that experience while allowing them to read with a minimum of interruption.
Though it is written in a lower lexile, the subject matter and interest level are appropriate for 6, 7, 8th grade.
I have separated the novel into six (6) parts. For each part there is one page of Focus Questions (one, two, or three) for each letter in the first five parts. That is followed by a one page quiz for each part.
Part VI has two pages of Focus Questions and a two page quiz.
Quizzes are all in two parts - and have question styles of Name the Person, True/False, Sequence, Cause and Effect, and Multiple Choice. The top half is easier on each quiz and may be used by itself if you have the need to differentiate.
Also included are:
- word study pages,
- word search for names in the novel,
- a character log with directions,
- eight writing prompts usable as the novel progresses, aligning with CCSS ELA Writing, W 1, 2, 3 - in task card format,
- my CCSS ELA 6, 7, 8 Reading Literature check list for this novel,
- and illustration opportunities.
Please see Preview for sample pages.
I also sell a unit for the prequel:
DEAR LEVI Novel Study
An excellent follow-up is this short lesson I sell:
SOJOURNER TRUTH Event
Another unit for a novel by Woodruff that I sell is:
George Washington's Socks