D.E.A.R. Letter Writing Program:
This is a print and ready-to-go writing program to accompany your sustained silent reading and reading strategy curriculum. Everything you need to get it started is here, except for the books and students!
Using custom bookmarks, called Thoughtmarks, students record evidence of their thinking and reading strategies used while reading. Students then gather their evidence and write a response letter to the teacher.
-both Writing and Reading Common Core Standards
-Close Reading ideas and skills
-metacognition development with reading strategies
-Letter Format (writing for different purposes)
-Organization and time management skills
1. Teacher Directions with sample schedule (adaptable to your own teaching and pacing)
2. Simple Grading system for handing letters back to students
3. Reading Strategy Key bookmark
4. Thoughtmarks for recording evidence while reading
5. Student Directions to keep with them
6. Letter format templates, both with example stems and without