I did this activity in collaboration with the art teacher in my building. The students created a deity in Art and we wrote an essay about it in class. The activity is as follows:
In Art, you will be creating a deity. Your deity must be zoo-morphic; a mix of human and animal body parts. To create your deity, you must:
1. Choose an animal that you think best represents you.
2. Select a body part of that animal to emphasize based on Ganesha symbolism.
3. Choose two objects that represent your beliefs, likes, or personality.
Write an essay about your deity. Your essay must include:
1. The animal that represents you and reasons why you chose it
2. The body part you chose to emphasize and reasons why
3. Two objects that represent your beliefs, likes, or personality and reasons why you chose them
4. Facts about Hindu iconography and Ganesha symbolism
Writing graphic organizer included.