Also included in
- A smaller bundle for those that need it. (Musicals A to L) 20% OFF! This BUNDLE contains eight different lessons (250 pages) concerning popular award-winning Broadway musicals. Students will come away with exceptional, broad knowledge and a new appreciation of the awards and the origin of these B$52.40$67.00Save $14.60
- BUNDLE save 20%!! Here are 40 lessons (1,014 pages) focused on Tony Award winning Broadway musicals and famous theater artists through short biographies. Students study, research, synthesize and apply the information with opportunities for individual, distance and/or cooperative learning. Teacher$199.80$218.50Save $18.70
This drama lesson focuses on the Tony award winning musical Hairspray. Hairspray tells the story of Tracy Turnblad who advocates for racial integration and succeeds in her mission to integrate The Corny Collins Show. Students have an opportunity to study its journey to Broadway, composers, plot, trivia, etc.
NOTE: I created a digital version of this lesson for you which is included in this product and free to you. I split up the students' pages from the teacher's and placed answer boxes on the question sheet and design assignment. I hope it helps you.
HOW DO I USE THIS LESSON IN MY CLASSROOM? A drama,music or a U.S. history class would enjoy this lesson. Possible connections include social movements of the 1960s, identity and bias, music theory, media literacy and current events.
This Product includes:
- Letter to Teacher
- Two Warm Ups--Dance Tutorials from the Actual Production
- Teacher's Script--What I Say and How I Say it!
- Photos of Hairspray
- Synopsis of the Musical
- Plot of the Musical
- Short Biography about Marc Shaiman composer and choreographer Jerry Mitchell
- Separate File of Photos for Teacher's Use in Lecture
- History about the Origination of the Production
- AND a Mini-Lesson on What are the Tony Awards?
- List of Tony Awards
- New York City Map with Competing Theaters Labeled
- Student Note Page for Hairspray
- Teacher Note Page Key
- Trivia about Broadway and Hairspray
- Songs List
- Pinterest Board Link Specifically about Hairspray
- Extension Activities-- SEVEN Terrific Suggestions of Ways to Secure the Learning and Enrich the Experience either Individual or Group
- Two costume design templates for one of the extension activities
- Sources & Links to Film Clips from the Show
- And More!
Comprehensive? You bet.
This is a unique, engaging product created by an award-winning, veteran drama teacher of 38 years.
Do you follow me? If not, I hope you will: FOLLOW ME
Check out my other TPT products at:
Here's what reviewers have said of Dramamommaspeaks products:
“A resource that includes everything you need! Two-days of diving into the world of Tony Awards, students will love it. Brimming with fascinating trivia!”
“WOW! WHAT an AWESOME Resource!!!! Thanks for providing the questions, the links, a couple of different teaching options. This could be a great sub plan, but I know every teacher wants to do this lesson for themselves. Love that you finished with a great tweet from L M Miranda. Kids are gonna love THIS!”
"This is such a wonderful and creatively made resource!"
Earning TPT Credits
• Do you want credit for future TPT purchases? Just provide feedback for resources you purchase. Click on the “provide feedback” button next to your purchases, rate the resource, and leave a short comment. (You need to do both to earn credits.)
You receive 1 TPT credit for each dollar you spend, and you can spend it just like cash on future Teachers Pay Teachers purchases.