61 Slides! And notes!
Concepts covered: DNA, deoxyribonucleic acid, RNA, ribonucleic acid, chromosomes, nucleotide, Watson and Crick, nitrogen base, adenine, thymine, cytosine, guanine, uracil, double helix, replication, transcription, translation, protein synthesis, genetic code, amino acids, codons, anticodons, gene mutations.
This powerpoint is on DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis. It consists of 61 slides that are colorful, informative and visually stimulating. Pictures and diagrams are included that will greatly enhance your instruction to your students. This product also includes a set of notes for the teacher (13 pages) and a set of notes for the student (15 pages). You receive two versions of the notes: A PDF version and a Word document so that you can make changes if needed.
PLEASE NOTE: I have listed on TpT two different versions of this PowerPoint. This version is slightly shorter and is a little less advanced. Please read the description carefully. The longer version can be found by clicking here: DNA, RNA Powerpoint and Notes - Long Version
Please download my free preview. The preview consists of the first 15 slides of the presentation with the corresponding notes for the teacher and corresponding notes for the student.
Topics covered are:
1) History of DNA Studies: Watson and Crick, Chargaff, Rosalind Franklin, Maurice Wilkins.
2) DNA nucleotides and their composition, how nucleotides are joined to one another.
3) The Watson and Crick model of DNA, the double helix, the base pairing rules, DNA as a carrier of information
4) Replication of DNA: Drawings, steps in replication, DNA polymerase, hydrogen bonds, origins or replication, replication forks, complimentary strands, helicase
5) Proofreading and repairing DNA: the role of polymerases, nucleases, and ligases.
6) The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids
7) RNA: Differences between DNA and RNA, the functions of RNA, the three types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA, rRNA).
8) Transcription: Purpose of transcription, steps to transcription, promoter, terminator, RNA polymerase
9) Understanding the genetic code, how codons translate into amino acids, start codons, stop codons, reading a table of codons
10) Translation: protein synthesis, ribosomes, steps in translation, the role of mRNA and the role of tRNA, structure of tRNA and its ability to transport amino acids, reading and deciphering the code.
11) Practice Problem: Given a DNA sequence, students will figure out the corresponding mRNA codon sequence, the tRNA anticodon sequence, and the amino acid sequence.
12) Ribosome structure: large subunit, small subunit, RNA binding sites, the entry and exit of tRNA to build a polypeptide, start codons, stop codons.
13) Mutations: definition of mutation, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, base substitutions, base insertions or deletions, silent mutations, frameshift mutations.
14) The importance of mutations in natural selection.
Also included is a set of notes to accompany this powerpoint. It includes a complete set of notes for the teacher, and an outline of the notes for the students. Students will use the outline as the powerpoint is being presented and will fill in the notes as the lesson is being taught.
Also included is a chart of all 64 codons and the amino acids they code for.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.
You might be interested in these related products:
Biology Buzz Words: DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis
Lab: Effect of Environment on Gene Expression
DNA Powerpoint Jeopardy Game
Lab: Chromosome Squashes
Lab: Determining the Traits of a Mystery Organism Through Protein Synthesis
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Crossword Puzzle
Test: DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis
DNA Quiz or Homework (Advanced)
Crossword Puzzle: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Worksheet or Study Guide
Test: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Set of 4 Homework Assignments
Homework #1: The Basics of DNA
Homework #2: DNA Replication
Homework #3: RNA and Transcription
Homework #4: Protein Synthesis and Translation
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis - Set of 3 quizzes
Quiz #1: DNA and Replication
Quiz #2: RNA and Transcription
Quiz #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
RNA and Transcription Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Translation and Protein Synthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
DNA and RNA Powerpoint Jeopardy REview Games - Set of Three Games
Test: RNA, transcription and translation
Biology Unit on CD: DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis
FREE Chart of Amino Acids and Their Codons
Amy Brown Science Stuff