Also included in
- SAVE OVER 30% - SAVE $109+ when you purchase every NGSS MS-LS life science PDF resource offered in our Teachers Pay Teachers store, totaling 126 resources, including:NGSS Life Science✅ Worksheets✅ Informational Texts (great as sub plans)✅ No Prep Activities✅ Low Prep Labs✅ Student Projects✅ Holiday-$229.99$339.37Save $109.38
- SAVE 30% when you combine our most popular MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL DNA ACTIVITIES! Designed to SUPPLEMENT and add FUN to an existing unit. NGSS MS-LS3-1.BUNDLE INCLUDES:Create a Paper Model of DNAUpcycled/Recycled DNA Model Project (FREE BONUS)Easy DNA Extraction Lab (for middle school!)Mutations in D$12.95$18.49Save $5.54
Fun! DNA fingerprinting & forensics simplified specifically for middle school!
NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Developing and using models
In this activity, students will:
- Read a silly (not scary) murder mystery. The scene is set for students to figure out who killed Mr. Henry Lord Whippleton. There are two suspects... and one of their DNA fingerprints will match the DNA found at the crime scene!
- Get an introduction to DNA fingerprinting with a 1-page introduction and a tiny bit of practice.
- "Process" the two suspects' DNA (involving cutting and pasting paper DNA strips) to make a DNA fingerprint for each suspect.
- Compare the DNA fingerprints they have generated to the one found at the crime scene. Mystery solved!
- Generally, with time for introduction and discussion, this activity takes 2 class periods.
- Pictures of student work of the two suspects' DNA fingerprints are provided, as well as the identity of the murderer.
- Please note: This resource is NOT editable.
- Save $$ with our DNA & Chromosomes ACTIVITIES BUNDLE!
Check out our DNA & Chromosome resources in the DNA/Chromosomes Section of Our Store.
Need something different?
Check out all the NGSS-aligned science materials in Our Store!
Our materials are easy to implement, effective, and always standards-based.
Please visit www.FlyingColorsScience.com for news and freebies!