Also included in
- SAVE OVER 30% - SAVE $109+ when you purchase every NGSS MS-LS life science PDF resource offered in our Teachers Pay Teachers store, totaling 126 resources, including:NGSS Life Science✅ Worksheets✅ Informational Texts (great as sub plans)✅ No Prep Activities✅ Low Prep Labs✅ Student Projects✅ Holiday-$229.99$339.37Save $109.38
- SAVE 30% when you combine our most popular MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL DNA ACTIVITIES! Designed to SUPPLEMENT and add FUN to an existing unit. NGSS MS-LS3-1.BUNDLE INCLUDES:Create a Paper Model of DNAUpcycled/Recycled DNA Model Project (FREE BONUS)Easy DNA Extraction Lab (for middle school!)Mutations in D$12.95$18.49Save $5.54
DNA mutation simulation simplified to a middle school level - fun, engaging, and standards-based. And, no supplies needed!
This activity simplifies the DNA code and DNA mutations to a very basic level while illustrating that it just takes one little change to make a really different message. No knowledge of transcription, translation, or proteins is required. The instructions are clear and the explanations are simple - perfect for middle school students.
In this activity, students will:
- "Decode" a non-mutated message into an English phrase. (The phrase itself is a clever saying about DNA.)
- "Decode" a mutated segment of DNA. The new message says something entirely different, even though only a few DNA bases were off. (The mutated phrase pertains to mutations in DNA.)
Consider pairing this activity with our Mutant DNA Informational Text.
NGSS Standard: MS-LS3-1
NGSS Science & Engineering Practice: Developing and using models
- Find the DIGITAL Google Slides version of this activity HERE.
- ANSWER KEY INCLUDED
- Please note: This resource is NOT editable.
- You may also be interested in our DNA & Chromosomes ACTIVITIES BUNDLE!
A Note About Color Printing: Color copies of the codon keys will be necessary. To limit the number of color copies need, we make one class set and then have pairs of students share the codon key and reuse them class-to-class and year-to-year. If you do not have color printing available to you, an alternative would be to project the codon key from your computer using a SmartBoard or a similar arrangement. The student sheets - the sheets students do their work on - DO NOT need to be color copied.
Find more in the DNA/Chromosomes Section of Our Store.
Need something different?
Check out all the NGSS-aligned science materials in Our Store!
Our materials are easy to implement, effective, and always standards-based.
Please visit www.FlyingColorsScience.com for news and freebies!