This PowerPoint attempts to undo the damage done by the X-Men movie series where students are led to believe that DNA mutations can give super powers. Ugh... Hollywood!
This PowerPoint teaches the different types of gene and chromosome mutations such as: Point mutations, Silent mutations, Frame-shift mutations, and Translocation mutations. This PowerPoint is NOT just a list of bullet point/main ideas. This presentation is equipped with engaging images and animations to better assist with understanding. There are also many practice problems allow the way for you to use to check for student understanding. Your students should have a good understanding of transcription and translation prior to learning this lesson.
Better yet, you can preview the entire PowerPoint on my YouTube channel prior to purchase to make sure it suits your needs. If purchased however, the PowerPoint will NOT be narrated.
Click to watch the full PowerPoint
I have also included two handouts with this purchase. One is a fill-in-the-blank style handout your students can use to follow along. The other is a review worksheet you can assign for homework or classwork after completing the notes.
There are 6 files in this purchase:
1) Mutation PowerPoint
2) Note taking handout (Word format)
3) Note taking handout (PDF format)
4) Student worksheet (PDF format)
5) Student worksheet answer key (Word format)
6) Student worksheet answer key (PDF format)
Are you looking for other DNA based lessons?
DNA Based PowerPoint Presentations:
* DNA and Replication PowerPoint
* RNA and Transcription PowerPoint
* Translation and Protein Synthesis PowerPoint
* DNA Mutations PowerPoint
DNA Based Review Games
* DNA Jeopardy Game
* DNA Bingo Game
* DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Challenge Game
* DNA Review Packet
DNA based Interactive Tutorials:
* Transcription Interactive Tutorial
* Translation Interactive Tutorial
DNA based activities:
* Translation Paper Model Activity