DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis Complete Unit Plan Bundle
Everything you need to teach this unit in one download.
Each of these products is sold separately in my TpT store, but buying the entire unit in one download will save you money. If each of these products were purchased separately, the total cost would be $42.24. The bundled price is a savings of 38% off.
This bundled unit contains at least 2 to 3 weeks of teaching materials if you complete all of the enclosed labs. The title of this unit is DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis. This unit has everything that a teacher needs to teach a unit on this topic to Biology or life science students. It covers: The history of DNA discoveries, the structure of DNA, replication, transcription, and translation / protein synthesis. My free preview gives a complete description of each product that is included.
You will receive 20 separate products:
A 69 slide powerpoint presentation, teacher notes, student notes, 2 labs, 3 jeopardy review games, 4 daily quizzes, 4 homework assignments, 2 crossword puzzles, 1 study guide and 3 unit tests.
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in pdf form.
All answers are included.
Topics covered by this unit are:
1) History of DNA Studies: Early concepts about genes, roles played by genes, Watson and Crick, Chargaff, Rosalind Franklin, Maurice Wilkins.
2) DNA nucleotides and their composition, purines, pyrimidines, how nucleotides are joined to one another.
3) The Watson and Crick model of DNA, the double helix, the base pairing rules, DNA as a carrier of information
4) Mechanisms by which a large amount of DNA can fit inside a small space of the nucleus, histones, nucleosomes
5) Replication of DNA: Drawings, steps in replication, DNA polymerase, hydrogen bonds, origins or replication, replication forks, complimentary strands, helicase
6) Proofreading and repairing DNA: the role of polymerases, nucleases, and ligases.
7) The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids
8) RNA: Differences between DNA and RNA, the functions of RNA, the three types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA, rRNA).
9) Transcription: Purpose of transcription, steps to transcription, promoter, terminator, RNA polymerase
10) RNA processing and editing, introns, exons
11) Understanding the genetic code, how codons translate into amino acids, start codons, stop codons, reading a table of codons
12) Translation: protein synthesis, ribosomes, steps in translation, the role of mRNA and the role of tRNA, structure of tRNA and its ability to transport amino acids, reading and deciphering the code.
13) Practice Problem: Given a DNA sequence, students will figure out the corresponding mRNA codon sequence, the tRNA anticodon sequence, and the amino acid sequence.
14) Ribosome structure: large subunit, small subunit, RNA binding sites, the entry and exit of tRNA to build a polypeptide, start codons, stop codons.
15) Mutations: definition of mutation, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, base substitutions, base insertions or deletions, silent mutations, frameshift mutations.
16) The importance of mutations in natural selection.
Also included is a chart of amino acids and the 64 codon combinations.
Below is a complete list of what you will receive in the bundled product. You can click on each link to read a detailed description of each product and download a preview of each product.
DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Powerpoint with Teacher and Student Notes
DNA Powerpoint Jeopardy Game
Lab: Determining the Traits of a Mystery Organism Through Protein Synthesis
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Crossword Puzzle
Test: DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis
DNA Quiz or Homework (Advanced)
Crossword Puzzle: DNA and Replication
DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis Worksheet or Study Guide
Test: DNA and Replication
Homework #1: The Basics of DNA
Homework #2: DNA Replication
Homework #3: RNA and Transcription
Homework #4: Protein Synthesis and Translation
Quiz #1: DNA and Replication
Quiz #2: RNA and Transcription
Quiz #3: Translation and Protein Synthesis
RNA and Transcription Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Translation and Protein Synthesis Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Test: RNA, transcription and translation
Biology Lab: Simple DNA EXtraction
FREE Chart of Amino Acids and Their Codons
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)