Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
DNA, RNA, and Protein Synthesis Complete Unit Bundle. This bundle contains everything you need to teach a unit on DNA, RNA and protein synthesis in one download.
Each of these products is sold separately in my TpT store, but buying the entire unit in one download will save you money. If each of these products were purchased separately, the total cost would be $54.24. The bundled price of $39.99 is a savings of 25%.
For Even Greater Savings: This complete unit bundle is included in my "Full Year Biology Curriculum Bundle."
Click the link below to view this bundle.
This bundled unit contains at least 2 to 3 weeks of teaching materials if you complete all of the enclosed labs. The title of this unit is DNA, RNA and Protein Synthesis. This unit has everything that a teacher needs to teach a unit on this topic to Biology or life science students. It covers: The history of DNA discoveries, the structure of DNA, replication, transcription, and translation / protein synthesis. My free preview gives a complete description of each product that is included.
You will receive 21 separate products: A 69 slide powerpoint presentation, teacher notes, student notes, 2 labs, 3 jeopardy review games, 4 daily quizzes, 4 homework assignments, 2 crossword puzzles, 1 study guide and 3 unit tests.
I have also included a Teacher Guide containing tips for implementation, suggestions for sequencing, and alignment to NGSS standards.
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in pdf form.
All answers are included.
Topics covered by this unit are:
1) History of DNA Studies: Early concepts about genes, roles played by genes, Watson and Crick, Chargaff, Rosalind Franklin, Maurice Wilkins.
2) DNA nucleotides and their composition, purines, pyrimidines, how nucleotides are joined to one another.
3) The Watson and Crick model of DNA, the double helix, the base pairing rules, DNA as a carrier of information
4) Mechanisms by which a large amount of DNA can fit inside a small space of the nucleus, histones, nucleosomes
5) Replication of DNA: Drawings, steps in replication, DNA polymerase, hydrogen bonds, origins or replication, replication forks, complimentary strands, helicase
6) Proofreading and repairing DNA: the role of polymerases, nucleases, and ligases.
7) The Genetic Code: codons, amino acids
8) RNA: Differences between DNA and RNA, the functions of RNA, the three types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA, rRNA).
9) Transcription: Purpose of transcription, steps to transcription, promoter, terminator, RNA polymerase
10) RNA processing and editing, introns, exons
11) Understanding the genetic code, how codons translate into amino acids, start codons, stop codons, reading a table of codons
12) Translation: protein synthesis, ribosomes, steps in translation, the role of mRNA and the role of tRNA, structure of tRNA and its ability to transport amino acids, reading and deciphering the code.
13) Practice Problem: Given a DNA sequence, students will figure out the corresponding mRNA codon sequence, the tRNA anticodon sequence, and the amino acid sequence.
14) Ribosome structure: large subunit, small subunit, RNA binding sites, the entry and exit of tRNA to build a polypeptide, start codons, stop codons.
15) Mutations: definition of mutation, gene mutations, chromosome mutations, point mutations, base substitutions, base insertions or deletions, silent mutations, frameshift mutations.
16) The importance of mutations in natural selection.
Also included is a chart of amino acids and the 64 codon combinations.
Below is a complete list of what you will receive in the bundled product. You can click on each link to read a detailed description of each product and download a preview of each product.
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
You can find me at these locations as well: