These activities were created to extend the story Down By the Bay (both the Raffi version and the generic version). Children will enjoy learning
through the fun activities geared towards this silly song book. The activities are in PDF format so they are printable on either PCs or Macs.
1. Juicy Word Problems: Solve each of the watermelon themed word problem.
2. Add-A-Verse: Complete each line to add another verse to the song.
3. Build a Sight Word: Use the cutout letter tiles to build each of the following words from the story. When you have finished, find the words in the book.
4. Sight Word Cloze Activity: Fill in the blanks with a sight word that makes
sense in the sentence. There is a word box at the right of the page to help
5. Watermelon Math Mats: Draw the correct number of seeds on each watermelon. For addition practice: Turn the math mats upside down. Pick two and use them to create and solve an addition problem.
6. Silly Patterns: Use the cutouts with animals from the story to create
different patterns. (Includes two pages each for both the Raffi version and non-Raffi version)
7. Subject & Verb Matching: Line all the cards up in rows upside down for a
memory game. Take turns turning two cards over. If you match each
subject card (animal from the story) to it's correct verb card (that tells what it did) you get to keep the pair. When all the cards are gone, the person with
the most pairs wins the round.
8. Punctuation: Read the sentences below. Decide if each is an asking
sentence that needs a question mark at the end or a telling sentence that
needs a period at the end. Put the correct punctuation mark at the end of the sentence.
9. Activity Letter: Explains how to do each activity
10. Binder cover