Drones Decimals is an engaging Maths Mastery learning journey for Year 5 & 6 pupils.
Based on the Shanghai Mastery method of teaching maths using fluency, probing, explain and solve mastery maths questioning techniques.
NC Teaching Objectives Taught include:
1. To recognise and use thousandths and relate them to tenths, hundredths and decimal equivalents.
2. To round decimal numbers to the nearest whole, 1 decimal place and 2 decimal places.
3. To solve various problems involving decimals.
1. 5 Day detailed editable weekly planning.
2. 16 slide detailed & High Quality Powerpoint Presentation to be used over 5 lesson period.
3. 15 slide Display Pack that can be printed to be used as a Maths display for this Drones Decimals topic.
4. 5 Maths Mastery worksheets including Fluency, Probing, Explain & Solve questions.
5. Before and After Topic Assessments.
Includes higher-order Mastery questioning to consolidate and extend decimal knowledge in relation to: Money, length, weight and time.
The Powerpoint Presentation included offers 5 days of teaching focus, with the first 4 days focusing on a different drone. The children answer FLUENCY, PROBING, SOLVE & EXPLAIN questions based on the technical data associated with the Drone, followed by a fifth day's lesson where decimal knowledge and skills can be applied to SATS style decimal focused questions.
My Year 5 class loved the DRONES theme and the fact that the decimals became more "real" when thinking about the maths associated with the drones.