Keep your kids focused and engaged while watching CNN 10, Channel One News, or any other news program! These 12 daily activity sheets are aligned with Common Core Standards, strengthen ELA and social studies skills, and promote higher-level thinking which leads to thoughtful class discussions.
Each handout is a half sheet of paper and covers these activities:
• Mapping locations
• Creating questions with answers for a partner or the class
• Identifying facts and opinions
• Drawing pictures which show cause and effect
• Identifying problems and identifying or creating solutions
• Understanding a news story and stating how it could affect yourself or others
• The 5 W’s: who, what, when, where, why
• Identifying and understanding different points of view
• Making predictions
• Identifying and using unusual or challenging words
• Writing a summary with a main idea, supporting details, and conclusion
• Drawing a political cartoon
• Connecting news stories to topics learned in class
• Classifying a week of news stories as most important, most controversial, most relatable, and most inspiring.
My students work on these throughout each week. The classroom discussions afterwards are quite impressive as they share their information and ideas with others. I especially love the questions they come up with for each other. It really helps them relate the news to their own lives and other events in history we’ve studied in class.
I hope your students enjoy it!
Follow me to be notified of all my new products! I list all my products for half price the first week they are listed!
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.