This Daily Doodle Vocabulary resource will introduce your students to dozens of new vocabulary words, and a brand-new way of learning them: with doodles!
When students are exposed to new words, they become strong readers and writers. This resource contains 160 words -- enough for an entire school year! Doodling has been shown to improve concept retention, so with this resource, your students will have the tools they need to boost their vocabulary knowledge to new heights. The words in this resource are selected for students in grades 6-8. Find a version for grades 3-5 HERE.
Daily Doodle Vocabulary includes 40 weeks of engaging activities!
- Each week, students will learn four new words. While learning the words, they’ll discover the definition, read a sample sentence, complete a vocabulary task, and then create a DOODLE or sketch based on the word. So much fun!
- The words are loosely grouped together based on topics or themes.
- After students learn the four words, they’ll write a paragraph incorporating all of their new vocabulary words.
- You know what that means, right? Students are not only being exposed to 160 new words, they're also doing the all-important task of putting those words into context, by writing 40, meaningful-to-them paragraphs!
Set-up is easy! Just copy the daily vocabulary worksheets for the entire year and bind them together, group them into monthly packets, or distribute them on a weekly basis to students!
Resources are included to help introduce the Daily Doodle Vocabulary to students. There’s an overview handout that reviews the purpose of the activities along with an explanation about the power of doodling and writing. In addition, you’ll find a “Writing Tips and Tricks” handout to help instruct students about HOW to use their new words correctly in their writing passages. Both handouts are included to help students be more successful all year long!
Beyond the 80 pages of Daily Doodle Vocabulary tasks and paragraphs, there’s also a glossary that students can fill in throughout the entire school year! So cool! Oh, and since teachers love a little flexibility, there’s even 3 sets of blank doodle vocabulary pages so that you can write in your own custom words for a particular unit of study!
You’ll find everything you need to implement an effective and FUN vocabulary program into your classroom! With this resource students will LEARN, PRACTICE, DOODLE and WRITE!
This engaging vocabulary resource includes:
- Overview, set-up guide, grading tips, resource explanation, how to get started, implementation ideas and bonus materials explanations (for teachers) --- 8 pages
- Daily Doodle Vocabulary Cover Page (for students’ packets)
- Daily Doodle Vocabulary – directions and tips handout (for students)
- Writing Tips and Tricks – handout (for students)
- 80 pages of Daily Doodle Vocabulary Tasks – 160 words – 40 paragraphs
- Daily Doodle Vocabulary Answer Keys (20 pages)
- Daily Doodle Vocabulary Fill-In Glossary (16 pages)
- Daily Doodle Vocabulary Index (5 pages)
Great News! An alternative version of this resource is available for grades 6-8. You might want to combine the two versions so that you can easily differentiate instruction in your classroom. Learn more about the version for grades 3-5 HERE.
There’s even more doodle vocabulary for students!
- ELEMENTS of FICTION Doodle Vocabulary - Students learn 36 words associated with fiction and doodle along the way!
- ELEMENTS of NONFICTION Doodle Vocabulary - Students learn 39 words associated with nonfiction and doodle along the way!
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
- Doodle and Do Reading Skills Bundle! - Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, Fact & Opinion, Sequencing, and Summarizing
- 5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units - Problem/Solution, Compare and Contrast, Descriptive, Chronological Order, and Cause and Effect
- How to Study for a Test Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
- Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
You may also like:
- 120 Daily ELA Warm-Ups! - Students choose to do the “this” or the “that” warm-up each day!
- Expository Writing Unit - Researching and Writing a News Story About a Historical Event
- Poetry Writing Unit - 11-Day Poetry Study and Writing Unit
- 101 Writing Prompts - Students choose which creative prompt they would like to respond to.
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction