I love using the first 10 – 15 minutes of transition time after recess to build number awareness with fun, predictable activities that take little prep time to prepare!
I have group bins of concrete materials for these activities including: ten frames, base ten materials, coins, counters, number lines, hundreds charts and whiteboards. My intention for this program is an opportunity for practice so I encourage my students to work together as necessary.
Students practice number awareness with Number of the Week:
- building number sentences, number words, money, rounding to 5 and 10, reading a clock and fast facts.
Students practice data management with Survey of the Week:
- collecting data, tally charts, basic graphing, ask and answer questions.
I have included:
- editable elements to the student pages and number line race
- 40 weeks of suggestion cards for the Number of the Week and Survey of the Week
- 2 teacher-led games (number line race + hundreds chart number ship)
Curriculum connections for Ontario and Common Core included!
Please visit me at: www.myideafile.blogspot.com for more ideas.