These daily Common-Core-aligned math journal prompts can be used as an early finisher activity, or as a daily routine. My students work on one prompt first thing every day in their morning journals. They love being able to write about their strategies, compare their work with each other, and show their reasoning with drawings. These journal prompts are March-themed, so they include number stories about Ireland, Dr. Seuss, springtime, gardening, etc. but they can also be used any other time of the year!
These are aligned with 1st grade Common Core standards, but could be used as a math challenge for Kindergarten, or for intervention groups in 2nd grade.
Journal prompts encourage deep mathematical thinking and include the following concepts:
- Place Value
- Comparing Numbers
- Shapes and their Attributes
- Adding and Subtracting within 20
- Determining Unknown Numbers
- 3 pages of Common-Core-Aligned journal prompts
FULL DOWNLOAD includes:
- 4 weeks of daily journal prompts (20 prompts total)
- 12 copies of the daily prompt per page- just print as many sets as you need for your class