This six-week mechanics unit purposely links parts of speech, capitalization, and punctuation rules, provides daily language sentences for reinforcement and skill building, and uses only ten minutes of class time per day. It's small but mighty! Click HERE
to try the first week for free!
Set 1 starts simply and builds each week, powerfully spiraling fourth and fifth grade students to greater skill and understanding.
• Parts of Speech - nouns, verbs
• Capitalization - proper nouns
• Punctuation - abbreviating salutations (Mr., Mrs., Dr., Miss)
• Parts of Speech - subjects, predicates
• Capitalization - days of week and months
• Punctuation - commas in dates
• Parts of Speech - conjunctions
• Capitalization - product names (but not conjunctions)
• Punctuation - commas in series of nouns or verbs
• Parts of Speech - articles
• Capitalization - geographic names (but not articles or conjunctions)
• Punctuation - commas in addresses
• Parts of Speech - adjectives
• Capitalization - proper adjectives
• Punctuation - commas in a series of adjectives
• Review and Test
• Five two-sided reproducible handouts featuring concise rules and three practice sentences for each day of the week
• Quick Reference Guide
• Answer Keys
Suggested Weekly Schedule:
• Monday - direct instruction of concepts (asking students to take notes or using interactive notebooks is suggested); guided practice with Monday sentences
• Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - independent completion of sentences (works well as bell work); immediate checking with students offering answers and lots of discussion
• Friday - independent completion of sentences submitted for a grade
The power of this program is in the discussion. Talking about connections, intricacies, and exceptions in grammar maximizes understanding.
Mechanics comes to you in three six-week sets. To purchase all three for the price of two, check out my Daily Mechanics Bundle
This daily language unit is the perfect complement to writer’s workshop! It allows you to addresses Common Core State Standards for Language 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, and 5.2 (CCSS L.4.1, L.4.2, L.5.1, L.5.2) in just a few short minutes each day. Building students’ skills in brief bursts over an eighteen-week period promotes mastery of identifying parts of speech, capitalizing, and punctuating.
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other units and activities are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching