A speaking activity with flash cards to practice use of the present simple tense
Teacher information includes pre and post teaching ideas.
Conducting the activity
• Explain the idea of a daily routine to learners by explaining what you did before coming to school / work this morning.
• Ask learners to identify the six daily routines using the flash cards or the first handout. Correct as a class to ensure comprehension before beginning part two. (You may wish to have learners act out the different activities in a mime like game to reinforce the vocabulary.)
• Ask learners to complete the information in part two giving the appropriate level of support for your class.
• Ask individuals to share their answers in full sentences and repeat their responses focusing on the different verb forms for third person.
“David, what time do you wake up in the morning?” “I wake up at 7” “David wakes up at 7, I wake up at 7 too.” etc.
• Hand out survey and explain to learners that they will now ask each other questions, drill questions and check for pronunciation. Learners should respond in full sentences but only need to record the short answers on their surveys. They should try and get responses from as many different people as possible. Monitor and check for pronunciation and correct grammar usage.
• For the final hand out, learners could be asked to share responses orally before recording them on the paper. Learners could also be asked to write one of their examples on the board. Teacher should draw learners’ attention to the grammar reference and use further examples if necessary.