This pack includes 11 different activities that are aligned with the common core standards to be used during word work time. These activities can be put out for the entire month for students to choose or several different activities each week. Many of the activities can be used by students individually and all are ready to be used in cooperative groups. All activities include a student recording page for accountability and most activities include a student friendly instruction card.
Letter names (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.1d) & Beginning Sounds (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3a):
• Pumpkin Upper/Lowercase match – students will match two halves of a pumpkin to make an upper and lowercase pair or students will match two halves of a pumpkin to make a letter and beginning sound picture pair
• Uppercase, lowercase, picture 3 way match - DIFFERENTIATED – students can match upper & lowercase, uppercase and picture, lowercase and picture or all three. The activity comes with different recording sheets for each of these types of sorts so you can rotate how you put out this activity or differentiate depending on the needs of your students.
• Thanksgiving Printable Book – DIFFERENTIATED – this activity comes with a printable booklet with Thanksgiving themed pages and Uppercase letters. Students will then match those letters to either: 1.) the same uppercase letter, 2.) the matching lowercase letter or 3.) a picture that starts with that letter.
Segmenting Syllables (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2b):
• Fall Leaf 4 Way Syllable Sort – Students will sort leaves with labeled pictures onto fall tree sorting mats for 1-4 syllables. Students will then record 4 words for each mat on their recording sheet.
Substitute individual sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2e):
• “at” word family book – students will create a flip book of “at” family words. They will cut out pictures in the at family and glue them into the booklet, then they will record the beginning sound for the picture. The ending “at” chunk will remain the same for the book so students practice the idea that changing the first sound only will create a new word.
Stretch out words (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2d):
• Stretch it out book – students will cut and glue CVC pictures and stretch out the beginning, middle and ending sounds and record them in the book
• Differentiated “an” family pumpkin sort – 3 different activities in scaffolded for different abilities or could be done in sequence with a gradual release of difficulty. 1.) Students will sort words Students will sort words into “an” family or “not” an family (High Frequency words), 2.) Students will sort words into “an” or “et” families, 3.) Students will sort 2 words for each family and will create the rest of the words to be sorted into either “an” or “et”
Ending Sound Sort (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2d)
• Turkey Ending Sound Sort – This activity comes with 9 different ending sound turkey mats and 5-6 pilgrim hats with pictures to match that ending sound. This activity can be easily differentiated by selecting which ending sounds the students are working on and the pilgrim hat pictures can also be differentiated. Most of the pictures are CVC but most ending sounds also include some multi-syllable words.
Sort Vowel Sounds (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3b)
• Short vowel cut and paste – 4 different cut and paste activities. Students will sort 6 pictures for each page into 2 different medial vowel sounds categories.
Sight Words (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3c)
• Trace, stamp rainbow write Word Wall Words – 5 different pages: (progressive practice for each week of the word wall words - 5 new words for week one and each week adds 2 new words and reviews 3 words from previous week)
• Roll a Word Wall Word – 5 different pages: (progressive practice for each week of the word wall words - 6 new words for week one and each week adds 2 new words and reviews 4 words from previous week)