Use these resources to introduce this novel to your students and extend their learning after they finish reading it. The 8 pre-reading tasks include an anticipation guide, short writing tasks, KWL charts, a Venn diagram compare and contrast task, and analyzing photographs. The 4 post-reading activities include creating a timeline, completing an ABC chart, writing essays, and doing research.
✓ Please note:
This resource is included in the complete Dar and the Spear-Thrower Novel Study
Dar and the Spear-Thrower
is set in Ice Age Europe and the introduction tasks help provide a context to the novel which will help students understand and appreciate it better.
* The anticipation guide asks students about how they would react to various situations that are similar to those the novel's main character finds himself in.
* There are 2 quick-write tasks that ask students to discuss what they know about prehistory.
* Another quick-write task asks students for a more personal response.
* The KWL charts also ask students about the Ice Age and prehistory.
* Students compare and contrast present-day life with prehistoric life with the Venn diagram.
* Analyzing photographs of objects that are crucial to the plot of the novel helps activate students' interest and provides visuals to help them better comprehend the story.
Instructions for each of these low-prep tasks are provided. The number and variety of pre-reading activities means you can select the ones which best meet the needs of your students and your teaching situation, if you choose not to use all of them. Students can do these introductory activities in class or they can be assigned for homework.
You can use the post-reading activities to supplement students' learning.
* The timeline activity asks students to choose some important events in the novel and place them in chronological order.
* The ABC chart activity lets students show their understanding by writing words and phrases about the story for each letter of the alphabet.
* There are 3 essay questions that help students connect with ideas presented in the novel and a rubric is included so you can easily assess students' work.
* There are 4 research topics, which can be done as either reports or foldables, and rubrics for assessing each type of product are provided.
A table of contents makes it easy to find the various resources. Other pages at the beginning of the product offer explanatory information for you and list the ELA Common Core standards addressed by this product, for your convenience if you work in a Common Core state.
What an educator who has used this resource says about it:
♥ "I used this yesterday with my students and they LOVED it. Additionally, a colleague of mine saw it and was really impressed with how engaged my students were!" -- A buyer.
Help prepare your students for reading this wonderful story of a Cro-Magnon boy growing up in Ice Age France and and then bring closure to the novel after you have finished reading it with these resources!
What you get in this product:
★ A table of contents (1 page)
★ A page with instructions for implementing the pre-reading tasks (1 page)
★ 1 anticipation guide (1 page)
★ 3 quick-write tasks (3 pages)
★ 2 KWL chart tasks (2 pages)
★ A Venn Diagram compare and contrast task (1 page)
★ A photo analysis task (1 page)
★ A page listing the post-reading activities and materials for them (1 page)
★ A timeline activity (4 pages)
★ An ABC chart activity (1 page)
★ 3 essay questions and assessment rubric (4 pages)
★ 4 research topics, foldable template, and 2 rubrics (4 pages)
★ A Notes to the Teacher
page with explanatory information (1 page)
★ A page listing the ELA Common Core standards (1 page)
These are other Dar and the Spear-Thrower products you may be interested in:
★ Dar and the Spear-Thrower Vocabulary Activities
★ Dar and the Spear-Thrower Reading Activities
★ Dar and the Spear-Thrower Literary Elements
★ Dar and the Spear-Thrower Short Writing Tasks
★ Dar and the Spear-Thrower Word Search and Crossword Puzzles
You may also like these prehistory products:
★ Back to School Ancient History Pre-Test Lesson Plan
★ Back to School Archeology Lesson Plan with Writing Task
★ Prehistory End of Unit Project
★ End of Year Ancient & World History Persuasive Writing Activity
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE
or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. When you use your credits, you reduce the cost of your future TpT purchases! Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.