This unit consists of a variety of activities to introduce, teach, reinforce, and/or practice the skills embedded in the story, David’s New Friends. The activities can be completed as a whole class, small group, in partners, or in a center. The unit contains:
1. Title, Author, Genre, Skills Posters (copy on card stock)
2. Smart Start and Week 1 Blending Words
3. Phonics poster and sentence writing
4. Spelling word Sorts\
5. Vocabulary poster
6. Vocabulary activities such as drawing, writing, and cut and paste.
7. Questions for the decodable, Tim and Pat
8. Story note taking organizer for character and setting
9. Grammar handout and practice sheet for statements and questions
10. Two writing activities (descriptive flower and writing frame}
11. Comprehension practice
12. Formative or Summative Assessment practice
Students have the opportunity to practice life skills through phonics, spelling, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and art activities. The unit designed addresses the following Common Core Standards:
R1.0 Students understand the basic features of reading.
R1.1 Students recognize and use knowledge of spelling patterns.
R2.2 Students state tell what information is sought from the reading.
R2.5 Students restate facts and details in the text to clarify and organize ideas.
R2.8 Students follow two-step written directions.
R3.0 Students read and respond to literature. They distinguish between the structural features such as character, setting, and plot.
W1.0 Students write clear and cohesive sentences and paragraphs that develop a central idea.
W1.1 Students group ideas and maintain a consistent focus.
W1.4 Students revise original drafts.
WOC1.1 Students distinguish between complete and incomplete sentences.
WOC1.5 Students use quotation marks correctly.
LS1.0 Students listen critically and respond appropriately to oral communication.
LS1.4 Students give and follow three-step directions.