Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
These Día de los Muertos, Day of the Dead Spanish activities and lesson plans have everything you need to bring this traditional Mexican holiday to life in your classroom for grades 1-12 and all abilities: 40 slide colorful PowerPoint, art projects, crafts, skull mini books, song link, video links, flashcards, word wall words, games, readings, writing, worksheets, make your own memorials, and more.
Pick and choose the activities that you like the best or use them all.
There are enough ideas for your whole teaching career!
1. 40 Slide Power Point Presentation explaining Day of the Dead, when it takes place, why it takes place, and its unique traditions. (English and Spanish)
* 40 colorful slides with visuals of people in costumes, skeleton figurines, altars, sugar skulls, monarch butterflies, cempsúchtil flowers, papel picado, giant paper maché people, decorated tombs, pan de muerto (special bread), copal (incense)
* 3 discussion questions to engage your students
* 6 video links that capture the spirit of the holiday (3 English, 3 Spanish)
2. Song Link and Activity
* 1 page reading in about "ofrendas" (English and Spanish)
* Link to a YouTube video for the song (Spanish)
* Lyrics (English and Spanish)
* Cloze activity
* Gestures for key words to reinforce vocabulary
* Follow-up questions and answer key
3. Skull Mini Books - Great for All Levels!
* 8 page mini coloring book describing Day of the Dead activities. Includes many versions for for differentiated instruction! Can be cut in skull form or made into a book - less cutting for younger students.
A. Younger or beginner language learners color and fill in the blanks.
(Spanish or English)
B. Older, more advanced students use sentences starters to describe the
holiday. (Spanish or English)
4. Picture Drawing and "Don't Say It" Games with Game Cards
* 36 game cards and 3 different activities to get your students circumlocuting and talking in the target language
5. 20 Interactive Notebook Flashcards to Teach Students Day of the Dead Vocabulary (Teachers' Guide included)
6. 20 Large Colorful Flashcards for Class Games (4 to a page)
(English and Spanish)
7. 6 Game Ideas for Class
8. 6 Craft Projects Links Including a Skull Necklace Craft with Templates
9. Recipes, Blog Reading about Celebrations in Various Parts of Mexico, and Book Suggestions
10. 21 Bulletin Board Words to Decorate Your Class (Spanish and English)
11. Fill in the Blank Worksheets: 2 Versions for Differentiated Instruction (Sp. and Eng.)
12. Vocabulary Worksheet with Definitions (English and Spanish)
13. Secret Message Worksheet (Unscramble the Day of the Dead Vocabulary to Discover the Secret Message)
14. Create Your Own Memorial for a Loved One, Pet, or Famous Person Who Has Passed Away (Several Templates and Versions)
15. Day of the Dead Digital Flashcards: Students listen to Day of the Dead vocabulary and then write the word that corresponds with the photo. Self-correcting. Send the link and your work is done.
Here's what teachers are saying:
* "One stop shop for Dia de los Muertos!"
* "The teaching duration says 2 days but there are so many things to do here that it could last much longer than that."
* "I am so excited to have this wonderful, colorful, thorough resource! El Día de los Muertos is my favorite holiday to teach because it is so beautiful - both in all the colors that are used, and in the acts of remembrance of deceased loved ones. You always use such vivid images, and provide excellent craft ideas and readings."
Click on the links to see more detailed previews of each individual part. Save almost 50% off individual prices when you get the bundle and get bonus worksheets and vocabulary pages that aren't featured in any of the individual resources.
Want lessons for all the major holidays?
Want Spanish lessons for the whole year?