This wonderful "Day of the Dead" Cultural unit is the perfect way to celebrate " El Día de los Muertos" Nov 2 in your classroom.
The unit addresses the history of the Day of the Dead from its origins in the Aztec festival honoring the goddess of the afterlife Mictecacihuatl. It describes in detail the events that take place on October 31st Nov 1st and Nov 2nd. It also covers all the altar decorations and elements of the altar. It is a fun unit with several Interactive notebook activities such as label the altar, label the "Catrina: body parts and a wonderful Mexican Foods word search all geared to reinforce the reading and cognates. a fun coloring activity can be used for Elementary students. You can do it as a class reading and then little ones can just have fun coloring the Sugar Skull and making a mask.
The unit contains:
1) "DAY OF THE DEAD"- CULTURAL UNIT-The History and Activities
2) Reading Comprehension Questions
3) Label the Altar – 18 words in Spanish with word bank -Reinforcing Cognates and
words learned in reading (such as ofrendas, pan de muertos, calacas, calaveras)
4) Mexican Foods -17 words Word Search in Spanish with multiple cognates
5) Colorea la Calavera- Create a Mask using a Calavera. Great activity for a class . Print out the page in cardboard paper. You can distribute popsicle sticks or open whole and provide yarn for kids to wear the mask. Ask them to "Cortar ojos, Nariz y boca"
6)La Catrina- Label body parts in a Spanish Calaca. Great opportunity to talk about the happy grin in the face of the skeleton. The Day of the Day portrays skeletons with wide grins symbolizing the happy and friendly nature of death.
Your students will be able to read the Cultural piece, complete reading comprehension questions in English and have fun doing the Word Search, labeling the skeleton creating a mask.
Day of the Dead- PowerPoint. This PowerPoint can be used as an introduction to the holiday. Great way to set up the unit prior to doing the reading. Students will breeze to the reading.
Dead of the Dead- No Prep Activity Package- If you decide to continue the celebration this package will be a great follow up to this unit. Multiple activities including word searches about the holiday, label parts of the face using a sugar skull and writing prompts and book marks for students.
Please follow my store "El Jaguar" to be the first one to be notified of sales and new products