This product contains materials for a poetry unit inspired by the film Dead Poets' Society. It includes the following things:
• A chart for the student to record pertinent information about when the poem was read or recited and by whom and why this particular poem was chosen for this particular event. This chart should be used as the springboard for a discussion of how these specific poems help reveal the theme of the movie.
• A copy of each poem for the students to annotate.
• AP style questions for “To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time” and “The Road Not Taken” and a key.
• Instructions for a major grade poetry assignment and checklist for this assignment. The culminating project is a collection of four poems that are inspired by four of the poems in the film. Each poem has different stylistic and thematic requirements based on the original poem, and the checklist helps the student keep up with what he or she needs to include in the poem.
• Rubric for major grade poetry assignment.
These documents can easily be adapted for either a longer unit of study or a shorter one. It's an efficient way for classes to cover both analytical discussion of poetry and film as well as an introduction to creative writing.