Are you an SLP who is looking to increase minimal pair practice trials in your speech therapy sessions? This free set of SH-CH deaffrication targets can help to keep track of AND count the number of speech production trials while doing minimal pairs intervention. They can also be sent home for more structured for homework to complement the work that you do in the speech room.
APPLICATION TO EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
This packet considers the following research:
- A minimum dose of more than 50 practice trials in at least 30 sessions would be needed for the multiple oppositions and/or minimal pairs therapy approach to be effective (Williams, 2012).
- Children with more severe phonological impairments require greater intensity (such as 70 trials per session and 40 sessions) to facilitate change (Williams, 2012).
- Three to five minimal pairs can facilitate generalization in children (although some children may require more targets). Furthermore, this study elicited approximately 80–100 responses during each session (Elbert, Powell & Swartzlander, 1991).
TARGETS: This packet includes one set of four minimal pairs on a page (meaning eight words), with the total goal to achieve 100 productions. If each pair is practiced 25 times across the session, your student has practiced the pair 100 times!
ACTIVITIES: There are four different activities for you to mix and match. All copies are in black & white and include tally sheets, tally counts, tally boxes, and tally strips. While students enjoy keeping tally scores themselves, an SLP or parent can track of the number of trials practiced. These can be used with dry-erase markers, mini erasers, trinkets, and other general reinforcers.
- SH-CH initial minimal pairs containing the targets: ship-chip, shoe-chew, share-chair, and shop-chop
- Four different printables
- Each page aims to reach 100 practice trials
- I have a full set for fronting, 's' cluster reduction, stopping, gliding, and voicing.
Do you need no-prep worksheets? Sign up for my newsletter to get access to my Freebie Library of goodies that's aimed at your speech sound caseload.
Please get in touch if you have any further questions before you download. I'm happy for you to reach out to me at email@example.com
Rebecca - Adventures in Speech Pathology
Discover more therapy ideas: