Greetings, friend! This mini unit consists of six parts. They can be taught as an entire unit, or broken-up into individual lessons and taught as needed. Check out the parts below:
A mini-biography of Langston Hughes.
Four of Hughes’ poems that share some similar qualities and a close read activity designed for poetry.
A poetic compare/contrast activity meant to lead students through the four included poems to determine themes.
A theory tree activity that requires students to use the poet’s words to create a theory about the poet.
Five figurative language mini-posters to help with classroom discussions about the poems.
A “Step Inside” activity that encourages students to empathize with and understand Hughes’ point-of-view. This section ends with student drafting a letter to Langston.
24 pages include:
1. 2 page biography for kids (b&w, minimal color)
2. 1 Close Read for Poetry page (b&w)
3. 4 mini-posters of Hughes' poems ("Dreams," "Dream Boogie," "Dream Keeper," and "Dream Deferred") for student use (b&w, minimal color)
4. 2 Comparing Themes Organizers---one for specific use with Hughes' poems, and one for general use (b&w)
5. One Theory Tree Organizer & one Theory Tree example (b&w)
6. One Step Inside Thinking Routine Organizer (b&w)
7. One student direction page for "Dear Langston" letter (b&w)
8. One student letter form and one example letter (b&w)
9. Five colored figurative language mini-posters (simile, personification, metaphor, onomatopoeia, and alliteration)
10. Five Teacher Talk pages of tips and directions for YOU!
If you purchase this product, don't forget to leave feedback! Email me at email@example.com if you DO LEAVE FEEDBACK to receive a thank you freebie!
Best wishes for your poetic bad self! Teach on!