Also included in
- Teach Dear Martin by Nic Stone--online or in-person--without the prep! Teaching Nic Stone's novel in an unforgettable way is made easier with this unit bundle, which can be printed or delivered virtually. The Dear Martin bundle includes:Dear Martin Introductory SlideshowDear Martin QR Code Introduct$28.75$35.94Save $7.19
- Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter & Social Justice Lit Circle Bundle--online or in person! This literature circle includes material for teaching The Hate U Give by Angie Th$93.82$117.27Save $23.45
Build students' background knowledge to better prepare them for reading Dear Martin by Nic Stone. This introductory activity will have students learn about the author Nic Stone, Martin Luther King, Jr., privilege, and racial disparities in the prison system.
This activity is designed to be flexible. Use the QR codes and printable worksheets to get your students moving, engaged, and learning need-to-know background information as a classroom scavenger hunt! Simply place the QR codes around the room or in stations and let students use their devices to access the resources.
Alternatively, you could use the included Google doc to assign the activity as a web quest. Just upload to your Google classroom and students can type in their responses. This is a perfect option for distance learning, last-minute sub plans, or as a make-up for students who missed the scavenger hunt.
- Teacher instructions
- Student worksheets
- Answer key
- Signs with QR codes for the scavenger hunt setup
- Instant web quest Google doc
You can see the entire product (minus the answer keys and QR codes) in the preview. Please look at the preview prior to purchase to make sure this product works for your class.
Need other Dear Martin products? Click here to check out the bundle.
- Dear Martin Introductory Slideshow
- Dear Martin Reading Comprehension Questions
- Dear Martin Quizzes
- Dear Martin Reading Journal and Workbook
- Dear Martin Discussion Activity
- FREE Dear Martin Quote Poster
Wanting to discuss police brutality in America before diving into the novel? My All American Boys Introductory Gallery Walk Activity can be used with Dear Martin too!
*Please note: this activity requires using the internet, QR Codes, and iPads or other technology. Please make sure you are comfortable with using QR Codes prior to purchasing. You may also need to unblock some websites, depending on your school's internet security. If you have any hesitation, please talk to your building's IT professional before purchasing. Please do not contact me for information about using QR Codes, QR Code apps, etc. (but DO feel free to contact me if you have any issues with the product itself!).
***This resource consists of PDF files and Google Docs within a Google Drive folder. You'll need to grant permission to TPT to access your drive (if you have any issues, Teachers Pay Teachers has great tech support and a FAQ page). Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole resource, with the exception of answer keys, is included in the preview.