Also included in
- Teach Dear Martin by Nic Stone--online or in-person--without the prep! Teaching Nic Stone's novel in an unforgettable way is made easier with this unit bundle, which can be printed or delivered virtually. The Dear Martin bundle includes:Dear Martin Introductory SlideshowDear Martin QR Code Introduct$28.75$35.94Save $7.19
- Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter & Social Justice Lit Circle Bundle--online or in person! This literature circle includes material for teaching The Hate U Give by Angie Th$93.82$117.27Save $23.45
Engage and challenge your students while reading Dear Martin by Nic Stone online OR in person! With little to no prep (based on how you decide to copy it), this reading journal is practically a whole unit by itself. Beat the boring worksheets and give students something they're excited to do!
This 32-page reading journal and workbook can be copied into a booklet, left at the original size for binders, or broken up and distributed as separate assignments (perfect for those kiddos that lose everything!).
Alternatively, you can use this reading journal for distance learning. Included is an entire Google Slides version of the reading journal. You could also instead use the included Google Doc version of the writing prompts with the Google Sheets rubric for fast assessment online!
- 5 C-E-R (claim, evidence, reasoning) based writing prompts that give students choice
- 6-point rubrics are built-in, OR
- Print off the alternative pages with no rubric so you can make your own, OR
- Use the included Google doc versions of these writing prompts
- 2 unique coloring pages depicting crucial scenes from the book
- 2 quote analysis pages
- 2 journal pages
- A ton of extra Dear Martin related activities
- Identity Activity
- A Goal-setting Page
- Letter Writing Activity
- Character Name Analysis
- Word Search
- Character Tracking
- Book Review
- Nic Stone page
- Interactive Google Slides version of the same activities
- Google Doc version of the writing prompts
- Google Sheets rubric for easy grading and rubric importing
- Copying/teaching suggestions
- Answer keys for included activities
If you're still not sure if this reading journal is right for your students, you can see the WHOLE JOURNAL (with the rubric option) by checking out the preview. Please look at the preview prior to purchase to make sure this product works for your class.
- Dear Martin Introductory Slideshow
- Dear Martin Introduction QR Activity
- Dear Martin Reading Comprehension Questions
- Dear Martin Quizzes
- Dear Martin Discussion Activity
- FREE Dear Martin Quote Poster
If you'd like more resources for teaching claim, evidence, and reasoning (the basis for the included rubrics), check out my C-E-R Writing Bundle.
***This resource includes PDFs and several Google documents within a Google Drive folder. You will need to grant TPT access to your Google account in order to access this purchase. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole PRINTABLE version of the resource, with the exception of answer keys, are included in the preview. Note that the Google versions contain the same content as the printable but may be formatted differently.