Find a complete and in depth study of the novel, Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary in this download!
Absolutely everything you need to teach a successful unit to your whole class or small group is included in this 220-page resource.
In this zip-file you will find:
1) 11 daily lesson plans that include student objectives, common core state standards for 4th grade (although this unit will fit 5th grade standards well), materials needed, teacher preparation, and lesson steps
2) A 73-SMARTBoard slide presentation to compliment each daily lesson (screenshots also provided in PDF format)
3) A 31-page student activity packet to complete with each lesson
4) A vocabulary word work packet filled with activities to review important words from the novel
5) "Meet The Author" article for introducing the unit
6) 2 related non-fiction articles that help support the themes and content of the novel
7) Sequencing activity
8) Book quote activity for reviewing character development
9) Small group discussion cards and poster
10) A reader's theater using an except from the book to promote fluency
11) 52- piece bulletin board set in full color to help reinforce important skills learned throughout the unit
12) 4 end-of-the-unit activities, games, and review for completing the novel.
The concepts and skills covered in the unit are:
1) What is Realistic Fiction?
2) Business vs. Friendly Letter
3) Point of View
4) Character analysis and development
5) What is Theme?
6) Making inferences and using text detail for support
7) Types of conflicts
9) Participating in small group discussion
The format of the lessons include whole group, individual, partner, and small group engaging activities.
The CCSS for 4th grade covered in this unit are:
PLEASE NOTE: This unit uses the SMARTBoard software. Please be sure you have it installed on your computer before purchasing.
Please take a moment to look at the sample to see a close-up of all that you will be getting with this novel unit!
You might also enjoy these novel units:
George Washington's Socks
Donavan's Word Jar
Because of Winn-Dixie