This is a bundle of activities exploring theme, analyzing text, and creating a monologue. There is a final essay/set design project that includes the assignment, rubric, tracker, and example outline.
Death of a Salesman//Bundle Contents
1. Group Inquiry Project – There are some unfamiliar terms in Death of a Salesman due to the time period. This is an activity students can do to creatively explore those terms.
2. Text Analysis Guided Exploration – Using Tweets, students chunk portions of the text and summarize them.
3. Thematic Elements Anticipation Guide – Much of this unit and play is based on students knowing and understanding the themes. This anticipation guide gets them talking about how the themes apply to their own lives. If you like, you can revisit this same activity again after the play.
4. Scavenger Hunt – Using a Shmoop video, students learn about the background of the play
5. Character Text Evidence & Monologue – Students use textual evidence to write a monologue to be spoken at Willy’s funeral.
6. Set Design Essay & Project – Students use one of their chosen themes to write an essay and design a set for the play.
c. Tracker – Use this to help students keep track of which themes are in the play and when they are used
d. Example – this is just a rough outline of the essay for a student sample