This bundle includes a wealth of materials to supplement a unit on Arthur Miller’s play, Death of a Salesman with 9 major lessons and activities including assignment sheets, sample answers and projects, evaluation rubrics, and guiding PowerPoints. It contains pre-reading, during reading, and after reading assignments for in-class, homework, group work, and assessment purposes.
Activities align with the Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS) for writing and for reading both literature and nonfiction texts, including close-text reading, citing textual evidence, analyzing theme, and writing arguments to support claims. It also includes a lesson that uses Arthur Milller’s essay “Tragedy and the Common Man,” an 11th grade Common Core suggested text and another that uses nonfiction articles from The New York Times.
Within the zip file, items that can be used together are numbered similarly for easy reference, and a more thorough explanation of the tasks is included.
1. Pre-Reading: Brief background PowerPoint on the novel and author.
2. Act I Analysis Task (includes sample answer)
3. Father Poem Analysis Project (includes example, list of appropriate poems, and evaluation rubric)
4. Writing Assignment: Controlling Idea with Langston Hughes’s “Harlem” (includes PowerPoint assignment sheet, and sample assignment)
5. Final Assessment: Extensive Theme Analysis (includes evaluation rubric)
6. Final Wrap-Up Timeline Activity: Students work in groups to outline the present events and flashbacks of Willy’s life, includes guiding PowerPoint.
7. Movie Analysis Task (includes graphic organizer and evaluation rubric)
8. Follow-Up & Connection Lesson: This lesson debates Willy as a Tragic Hero and uses Arthur Miller’s essay, “Tragedy and the Common Man.” (includes PowerPoint, graphic organizers, and suggested responses)