With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, students can sometimes get distracted and their nightly reading may be overlooked.
This challenge is designed to keep students motivated to read during the month of December, even with the excitement of the holiday season.
This product is very low prep for you and your students will love it! Challenge your students to read during the month of December by recording their nightly reading using the pages provided. All students have to do is color in the gingerbread house pieces and other related images (all numbered) to account for each day they read.
Because there are so many different needs and expectations around the world with nightly reading, I have provided many different options so you can choose what will work best for your entire class, or even so you can differentiate for individual students.
Here’s what is included:
- -There are for the directions-no set time, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 25 minutes and 30 minutes. You can select the sheet with the same expectations you have for nightly reading, or you can give different options to different students for differentiation.
- -Before starting, have students set goals and create a plan to reach their goal.
- -If you want to have students record their daily reading, you can use one of the reading log pages provided.
- - Depending on when your school gets out for winter break and how many days you want students to read each week, you can pick which option you want to give to your students, or differentiate. . All students need to do is to color in the gingerbread house pieces or other pictures each day they read. All of the images are numbered so students know what to color in and when.
- -A fun book review craft is included for students to provide a review of the book they read. There are three options with different gingerbread faces to give a variety to pick from and keep your bulletin boards fresh. The book review piece is great for a bulletin board design or to display around your reading area so students can recommend books to each other.
- : Certificates are included so you can provide a small token of congratulations to any student that completes the challenge.
****BONUS! You will also receive a bonus This can be used throughout winter as a book review or even a book report. Students can review the book and additional pages are included for students to demonstrate their knowledge of various literary elements pertaining to the book. This makes a GREAT bulletin board display!
I hope that your students enjoy this challenge and that it motivates them to read even more! Thank you again for purchasing my product.
If you are looking for some other options, check out my other December Themed Reading Challenges:
If you like my work, be sure to follow me.