Social Studies Literacy Centers Bundle - December
Social Studies Literacy Centers for December are here! TEN STATIONS!! Are you struggling to integrate social studies into your curriculum? Here’s your solution. Social Studies Literacy Centers will help your students “read to learn” in a fun way.
The activities in this bundle will help your students acquire geographical and historical reading skills including: summarizing, drawing inferences, determining fact and opinion, determining cause and effect, detecting bias and propaganda and citing evidence. Additionally, students will work with maps, graphs, charts, historical artifact images, and primary sources.
Here are the December themed centers that are “ready to go” in this jam-packed bundle:
* Vocabulary Work - Word Card Center
* Vocabulary Word - Word Map Cards
* Vocabulary Work - Review Cube
* Summarizing Articles With Frames
* Close Reading
* Reading, Making, Analyzing Maps
* Reading Graphs, Tables, and Charts
* Inferring With Historical Images
* Artifact Analysis
These TEN CENTERS will last you the entire month! There are some choices and flexibility built-in as well.
This jam-packed bundle includes Teacher Notes that include information regarding supplies to organize and directions to prepare the centers.
Additionally, there are posters to hang for each of the ten centers above.
Objectives aligned with CCSS!
Important Note: The centers for subsequent months will follow these same formats! What does that mean for YOU?! It means that you only have to teach the expectations and procedure ONE TIME for the entire school year! Once your students learn how the centers work, they will be able to navigate through the centers in the coming months.
Want more details about each center? Read on:
* Vocabulary Work - Word Card Center: Words are taken from articles in other centers for this month, and words related to the theme of the month. This center includes word cards, and the definition cards to go with them. Students will match the words and the definitions and then check their answers. You can also use the word cards to create your own sorts of course.
* Vocabulary Word - Word Map Cards: Map cards are used in conjunction with the words on the word cards. Students will be required to write definitions, synonyms, sketch a quick picture, and more!
* Vocabulary Work - Review Cube: The Review Cube is used in conjunction with the words on the word cards. Students take turns rolling the big cube and sharing the answers with their fellow group members.
* Summarizing Articles With Frames: Summarizing either a Hanukkah article, and/or a Christmas Tree article are the choices for this month. This center gives students the framework, scaffolding, and support to help them learn how to summarize non-fiction passages. Students are walked through the process to ensure their success.
* Listen, Watch, Roll, and Chat: Communication is an important part of literacy, and this is true of social studies literacy as well. Students listen to MP3s, and/or watch movie clips, and have opportunities to communicate with fellow group-members. The choices for this month are both historical recordings in MP3 format.
* Close Reading: This month’s Close Reading Bundle is chock-full of goodies! It includes posters, teacher notes, an article for students to read, a template for students to complete as they work their way through their three readings. This month’s passage is about reindeer written by Catch the Buzz.* (Note: *This is the same Close Reading: Reindeer that can be bought separately in my store.)
* Reading, Making, Analyzing Maps: In this center, students will have the opportunity to read maps, make maps, and/or analyze maps. This month’s activity includes making a map key and coloring in a map to show different Christmas Dinners around the world.
*Reading Graphs, Tables, and Charts: The title sums it up nicely. At this center, students will have practice reading graphs, tables and charts. The themes for December are regarding holiday shopping and Christmas trees.
*Inferring With Historical Images: This fun center will feature a historical image that students then analyze with guidance. Learning to be more observant will help them to be more so in their day-to-day lives too! There are three images to choose from this month, and all are Christmas and holiday related.
*Artifact Analysis: Students love a mystery, and this center will give them an opportunity to try to determine what the object is in the picture with guidance via a document. The historical artifact for this month is Christmas related.
Other Products You Might Like:
Current Events Student Reporting Sheets
Close Reading Bundle NON FICTION - Step-by-Step Template
Making Vision Boards With Your Students
Close Reading - Boy George - George Washington As a Young Man
Road to the Revolution Project
Flora and Ulysses Novel Study Common Core Aligned
Non Fiction Text Structure BUNDLE - Correlates to Common Core
Inferring With Historical Pictures - Literacy Center BUNDLE
Close Reading Bundle - The First Thanksgiving - Step-by-Step Template
Thanksgiving Parade Short Research Project