Decimal Smudge is a resource containing 4 centres that reinforce the following concepts: place value with decimals to the thousandths, comparing decimals, adding decimals and subtracting decimals. Each centre is self-sufficient to allow students to work in small groups, thus allowing the teacher the time to work with students who require extra help.
How it works:
- Photocopy the number cards, enough so that there is one set at each centre. Place the number cards in an envelope, bowl or other container at each centre.
- Photocopy one set of each of the “smudge” cards. They are colour coded according to the skill it reinforces. The smudge cards are the action cards; they tell the student what to do with his/her number card. There are 16 smudge cards per centre.
- Photocopy one student worksheet for each student. They will use this to do the work required at the centre. When the centre is finished, the students can show the teacher their work, or the teacher can gather the sheets for assessment.
- At each centre, a student randomly selects a number card and a smudge card. He or she completes the question, and randomly selects another smudge card and another number card. This means the centre can be used multiple times, as the questions will always be different.
• At each centre there will be enough number cards so that you have the choice of how you want the students to use them. You can have a student select one number card, and use that number card to complete each of the 16 smudge cards, or you can have students select a new number card for each smudge card. The choice is yours – I have included several number cards.
• When working in small groups, all of the students can work with the same number card, or have each member of the group have a different number card
Don’t want to do centres? Use these smudge cards for a whole class game of SCOOT. Give each student a number card with which they will travel around the room. On the desks, place the smudge cards that you want to use. Perhaps practice place value and comparing decimals…or practice adding and subtracting decimals. So many choices… the possibilities are almost endless…
- 1 yellow smudge centre with 16 questions: reinforces place value with decimals
- 1 blue smudge centre with 16 questions: reinforces comparing decimal numbers
- 1 purple smudge centre with 16 questions: reinforces adding decimal numbers to the thousandth
- 1 green smudge centre with 16 questions: reinforces subtracting decimal numbers to the thousandth
- 1 student worksheet that works with all 4 centres
- 50 decimal number cards