Authentic Assessment: Restaurant Experience
• Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals
• Calculating percent including tax and tip
• I like to set up the room like a restaurant with table cloths, placemats, etc. I put small bowl of chips on the tables and serve the kids beverages as they work on the assessment. When they are finished, they raise their hand to “pay their bill.” I collect the test and give them a dinner mint. ☺
• Print and copy an instruction sheet and restaurant order form for each student. I’ve included a blank restaurant order form and one that already has a few items listed.
• Print, copy, and laminate (optional) a class set of the menus.
Reasons why students and I love it:
• Allows for differentiation
• Answer the questions, “When will I ever use this?”
• Reduces test anxiety
• It’s fun!
-instructions for setting up and using the assessment
-instruction sheet for students
-restaurant order form (assessment)
-brief powerpoint with student instructions