The following is a decision making activity that promotes class discussion and critical thinking. You are on the bio-ethical committee of a hospital that just received a liver that is suitable for transplant. You need to make a decision about who should get the liver. Five candidates have been placed at the top of the liver transplant list because without a liver transplant within the next 48 hours, they will die of their liver disease. You have certain facts about each person. You must:
1. Discuss each and every person on the list to be sure you are aware of who they are and what their circumstances are.
2. Decide on what criteria you will use to decide who ought to get the liver
3. Choose a person to get the liver.
4. Write an argument explaining your decision – the argument should indicate both why you chose this person and why you rejected the others
5. Present your decision to the class along with the reasons for your decision.
This activity is perfect as an icebreaker or for critical thinking skills practice.
Feel free to modify this product as you see fit. Follow me to receive updates on newly uploaded products. Please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!