This graphic organizer will help your students understand the different parts of the Declaration as well as who was on the committee to draft it and who actually wrote the document.
There is space to put in the following pieces of information -
Committee of Five -
John Adams - Massachusetts
Thomas Jefferson - Virginia (he wrote it)
Ben Franklin - Pennsylvania
Roger Sherman - Connecticut
Robert Livingston - New York
1. Preamble - this previews the reasons the colonies felt the need to separate from Great Britain
2. Principles of Democracy "all Men are Created Equal"
3. Reason for Independence - what the King/Parliament did to the colonies to force this drastic measure.
4. Formal Declaration - states colonies want a divorce or permanent separation from Great Britain
5. Signatures (John Hancock being the first and the largest - so "King George can see it without his glasses" - all members must agree to sign - if anyone member did not - they could no longer sit in Congress
This graphic organizer can be used as a classroom activity where students work together to find and fill out information - or an individual assignment for a study guide.
It has been used a much success in both regular education and special education classes.