Declaration of Independence – Historical Overview
I have two lessons on the Declaration of Independence. My other lesson provides a more in-depth text analysis created more for U.S. Government and Civics classes. This lesson is more aimed at U.S. History classes, however covers some of the same material. This lesson includes the events leading up the Declaration of Independence. The events that took place at the First & Second Continental Congresses – the naming of George Washington as Commander of the Continental Army, the Olive Branch Petition, the drafting committee, and the reasons for choosing Jefferson. This lesson also delves into the signing, the consequences of this document, and the ideals found in it. Watch the video linked below to see the content covered in this lesson below.
• Completed lesson plan with step-by-step instructions
• PowerPoint presentation
• Flipped classroom video
• Guided notetaking file
• Smartboard Matching Activity
• PDF’s provided for Google Doc & MAC users
• Bell ringers
Check out the YouTube video that goes with this lesson @ Mr. Raymond’s Civics & Social Studies Academy YouTube channel:
Declaration of Independence Historical Over
Please note, this product is for personal classroom use by a single teacher. If you would like to copy this product for more than one teacher, please download additional licenses, available at 50% off the original price!
You may not:
• Give this item to others.
• Copy this item for use by others.
• Post this item unprotected on a website, including a personal website, classroom website, or district website.
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.