Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Can students in the 21st century connect with the Declaration of Independence? Yes - this resource will help you do it! Students will learn about the historical context of the Declaration of Independence, as well as some important principles within the document, with this easy-to-use and engaging resource.
• With assistance, read and analyze the text of the Declaration of Independence to determine important principles that it contains including inalienable rights, government by the consent of the governed, and the redress of grievances.
• Describe the historical context for the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
• Explain how the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights affected people in the United States prior to c. 1800.
Included in this product:
• Lesson Overview (included in preview)
• 5-Day Lesson Outline (included in preview)
• “I Can” Learning Goal Chart (color and grayscale version)
• Essential Question Chart (color and grayscale version)
• Power Word Poster – Declaration of Independence
• Power Word Teacher Page
• Content-rich Informational Text
• Nonfiction Text Graphic Organizer
• Reading Strategies Questions
• Words to Know Printable and Key – reviewing difficult words in text
• Cloze (scaffolded) Notes for informational text and Key
• 3D Graphic Organizer (foldable) and Key
• Power Questions Printable and Key (text-dependent questions)
• Quick Quiz and Key
• Critical Thinking Prompts for Interactive Notebooks
• BONUS: What Does It Mean? Printable and Key (included in preview)
The 3D graphic organizer (foldable) will fit within the pages of a standard composition notebook. However, the lesson is designed so that it can also be used without such notebooks.
I completed this lesson with my students over a 5-day week. However, the lesson can easily be modified to suit your schedule and students’ needs – just use those activities/pages that fit the time you have to teach this subject.
Here is some of the great feedback buyers have said about this resource:
• "This is a great product! My kids were very challenged and engaged on each of the lessons!"
• "This is EXACTLY what I needed for teaching Declaration of Independence. Also, I got observed by my principal and a lady from our central office while using a few resources from this pack, and they had GLOWING reviews!! I only have positive things to say about this product!"
• "Wow. This was such a well thought out and comprehensive packet. So much thought went into the details and its components. Wonderful resource. Every part was excellent."
Also available in the Democracy Unit Quick Pack Series:
• U.S. Constitution ~ Quick Pack
• Bill of Rights (All 10 Amendments) ~ Quick Pack
• American Citizenship ~ Quick Pack
• Founding Fathers of America ~ Quick Pack
• National Symbols of America ~ Quick Pack
Additional resources for Declaration of Independence:
• Declaration of Independence ~ PowerPoint, Booklet, and Vocabulary Check
• Declaration of Independence ~ Task Cards (great for learning centers)
• Declaration of Independence ~ Lesson Bundle (task cards FREE with this purchase)
• Declaration of Independence: 5-Day Shared Reading Lesson Plan
Some external links in this resource may require Adobe Flash in order to work properly. Please make sure you have this software installed on your computer.
- Use this product for your own classroom and your own students
- Share the files digitally only with your students
- Upload to Google Classroom to use with the students in your classroom
You May Not:
- Share these files with anyone other than your students
- Upload any part of these files to a website for others to download or stored on a page where others will have access to it
- Store any part of this product on a shared drive
- Use any part of this resource, including graphics and/or formulas, to create any type of resource (free or paid)
- Links MAY NOT be placed on a school webpage that is not password protected
⭐ Did you know that leaving a comment below will earn you credits towards future TpT purchases?
⭐ Click the FOLLOW button and receive notifications when new resources are published.
Happy Teaching ~ The Reflective Educator! ☺