Also included in
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 28 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a$18.00$21.49Save $3.49
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 34 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a c$21.00$24.46Save $3.46
This is a series of six printable non-fiction books to provide decoding practice to emerging readers, specifically with words that contain consonant digraphs (sh, ch, th, wh and -ng). While there are other decodable texts available for beginning readers, this series is unique in combining systematic phonics/decodable text with non-fiction topics and photographs.
This group follows the first three sets which focus on short vowels (Books 1-6: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189), consonant blends (Books 7-11): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745, and long vowels with magic/silent e (Books 12-15): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974
Each of the titles in this group focuses on one consonant digraph (sh, ch, th, wh and -ng), with the sixth title as a review. Each book can be printed in a single-sided version or two-sided version (instructions are included in the text).
Because these books contain actual photos, rather than drawings, they can be suitable both for children and for teens and adults learning to read in English.
Most state standards include a focus on reading informational text, even in first and second grade, but finding materials that are suitable for emerging readers can be challenging. These decodable non-fiction texts are designed to fill this gap.
In addition to the long vowel/magic e (CVCe), consonant blend/digraph (CVCC and CCVC) and short vowel (CVC) words contained in these 6 books, here are the sight words and story words for each book.
16. their, many, give, pull
17. call, children, may, hard, could
18. hear, things, your, who
19. one, other, where, want
20. about, also, called, into, kinds
21. after, car
(less common sight words—blue words)
16. hermit, snail, turtle, sharks, rays, otter
17. beach, visit, ocean, thirst, bumpy
18. beaver, walls, castle, bread, cheese, soup, pizza, cool, forest, quiet
19. baby, ball, giraffe, grow, lion, sense, summer, tired
20. biggest, killer, mammals, orcas, seal, warm, whiskers
21. farm, cattle, cotton, corn, raise, silkworms, beef, steak, sheep, wool, hay
Sight words from the previous sets can be found here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974
Additional series are available here:
1) The Short Vowels set of 6 books: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189
2) The Consonant Blends set of 5 books:
3) The Long Vowels with Magic (Silent) e set of 4 books:
5) The Open Vowels and Vowel Digraphs (Teams) set of 7 books: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Open-Vowels-and-Vowel-Digraphs-Teams-Books-22-28-5479675
Additional titles, focusing on a full range of phonics skills, will be available in coming months.