Also included in
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 28 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a$18.00$21.49Save $3.49
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 34 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a c$21.00$24.46Save $3.46
This is a series of seven printable non-fiction books to provide decoding practice to emerging readers, with words that contain open vowels (e.g., we, hi, no) and vowel digraphs/teams (e.g., ee, ea, ai, ay, oa, ow, ie, igh, ui, ew). While there are other decodable texts available for beginning readers, this series is unique in combining systematic phonics/decodable text with non-fiction topics and photographs.
This set follows the first four sets which focus on:
- (Books 1-6): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189)
- (Books 7-11): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745
- (Books 12-15): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974
- (Books 16-21): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275.
Each title in this current group focuses on one long vowel sound spelled with a vowel team or digraph (two vowels next to each other, or “w” or “y” acting as a second vowel), with the seventh title as a review. The first book in the set focuses on open vowels, long vowels at the end of a word or syllable (such as he, she, be, pre-, re-, we, hi, go, no, pro, so). Each book can be printed in a single-sided version or two-sided version (instructions are included in the text).
Because these books contain actual photos, rather than drawings, they can be suitable both for children and for teens and adults learning to read in English.
Most state standards include a focus on reading informational text, even in first and second grade, but finding materials that are suitable for emerging readers can be challenging. These decodable non-fiction texts are designed to fill this gap.
In addition to the long vowel (CVCe, CVVC), open vowel (CV) consonant blend/digraph (CVCC and CCVC) and short vowel (CVC) words contained in these 7 books, here are the sight words and story words for each book.
22. work, try, girl, boy, around, able
23. across, eyes, often, open
24. don’t, ground, head, move, slow
25. only, four, find, were, dry, old, cold
26. any, because, dark, sky, used, using, would
27. happen, push, until, family
28. every, fall, heavy, how, together, very, weather
(less common sight words—blue words)
22. soil, seed
23. bark, flippers, honey
24. afraid, feathers, manta, Steller’s
25. shaggy, born, farmer
26. cook, electricity, raisins, star
27. almonds, apple, berries, color, melon, restaurant
28. cellphone, cloud, crystals
Sight words from the previous sets can be found here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275
Additional titles, focusing on a full range of phonics skills, will be available in coming months.