Also included in
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 34 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a c$21.00$24.46Save $3.46
This is a series of seven printable non-fiction phonics books to provide decoding practice to emerging readers, specifically with words that contain special vowel teams and diphthongs (e.g., oo, aw, au, all, alk, augh, ough, oi, oy, ou, ow). While there are other decodable texts available for emerging readers, this series is unique in combining systematic phonics/decodable text with non-fiction topics and photographs.
This group follows the first five sets which focus on short vowels (Books 1-6): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189), consonant blends (Books 7-11): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745, long vowels with magic/silent e (Books 12-15): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974, consonant digraphs (Books 16-21): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275, and regular vowel digraphs/teams (Books 22-28): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Open-Vowels-and-Vowel-Digraphs-Teams-Books-22-28-5479675.
Each title in this current group focuses on one special vowel sound (not long or short vowels) spelled with a vowel team or vowel/consonant team, with the seventh title as a review. Each book can be printed in a single-sided version or two-sided version (instructions are included with each text).
Because these books contain actual photos, rather than drawings, they can be suitable both for elementary students and for teens and adults learning to read in English.
Most state standards include a focus on reading informational text, even in first and second grade, but finding materials that are suitable for emerging readers can be challenging. These decodable non-fiction texts are designed to fill this gap.
In addition to the special vowel (CVVC), long vowel (CVCe, CVVC), open vowel (CV), consonant blend/digraph (CVCC and CCVC), and short vowel (CVC) words contained in these 7 books, here are the sight words and story words for each book.
29. another, before, both, first, picture, two
30. now, pulled, small, tall, taller, tallest
31. point, themselves
32. body, horse, I, my, school, teacher
33. again, even, minutes, turn, won’t
34. Ago, almost, once
35. Along, area, build, energy, hold, pretty
(less common sight words—blue words)
29. alone, antlers, Canada, common, geese, goslings, pattern, webbed
30. bear, branches, liberty, national, park, statue
31. badger, curve, dangerous, fingers, grizzly, koala, pincers, prairie, rabbit, squirrel, talons, wolf
32. cough, daughter, doctor, phone, trough
33. broiler, bubbles, electric, liquid, oven, pepper, pork, vegetables
34. burrowing, Dakota, else, presidents, wear, weigh
35. danger, flood, flowers, ledge
Sight words from the previous sets can be found here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Open-Vowels-and-Vowel-Digraphs-Teams-Books-22-28-5479675
Additional titles, focusing on a full range of phonics skills, will be available in coming months.