Also included in
- This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 34 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a c$21.00$24.46Save $3.46
This is a sequential series of seven printable non-fiction phonics books to provide decoding practice to emerging readers (Grade 2 and advanced Grade 1), specifically with words that contain r-controlled vowels (e.g., or, oar, air, ear, ar, er, ir, ur) and hard and soft c and g (e.g., camp, coat, cut, ice, city, bicycle; gas, go, grass, guard, germ, giant, gym). While there are other decodable texts available for emerging readers, this series is unique in combining systematic phonics/decodable text with non-fiction topics and photographs.
This group follows the first six sets which focus on short vowels (Books 1-6): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189), consonant blends (Books 7-11): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745, long vowels with magic/silent e (Books 12-15): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974, consonant digraphs (Books 16-21): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275, regular vowel digraphs/teams (Books 22-28): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Open-Vowels-and-Vowel-Digraphs-Teams-Books-22-28-5479675, and special vowel teams and diphthongs (Books 29-35): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Special-Vowel-Teams-and-Diphthongs-Books-29-35-5645217.
The first four titles in this current group each focus on one vowel, where “bossy” r changes the vowel sound. The next two titles focus on hard and soft c and g, with the last title as a review. Each book can be printed in a single-sided version or two-sided version (instructions are included with each text). Each book in the entire series builds on previous skills, so books should be taught and read in order.
Because these books contain actual photos, rather than drawings, they can be suitable both for elementary students and for teens and adults learning to read in English.
Most state standards include a focus on reading informational text, even in first and second grade, but finding materials that are suitable for emerging readers can be challenging. These decodable non-fiction texts are designed to fill this gap.
In addition to the decodable words in these 7 books that contain R-controlled vowels (CVrC), hard and soft c and g, special vowels (CVVC), long vowels (CVCe, CVVC), open vowels (CV), consonant blends/digraphs (CVCC and CCVC), and short vowels (CVC), here are the sight words and story words for each book.
36. Africa, America, Mexico, winter
37. American, front, leaves, ready, remember
38. bottom, doesn’t
39. cover, roll
40. beautiful, breaks, since
41. Asia, different, however, mother, wild
42. becoming, earth, why
(less common sight words—blue words)
36. acorn, antelope, belly, cheetah, native, rocky, southern, woody
37. Alaska, hibernate, island, Kodiak, parasites, prickly, salmon
38. blood, cartilage, dorsal, leopard, Pacific, pectoral, plankton
39. camel, contour, dead, dirty, garbage, meadow, million, monkey, royal
40. bicycles, bristle, canyon, city, Colorado, echo, fence, instance, valleys
41. gazelle, hyena, Thomson’s
42. alligator, coral, cypress, dolphins, ecosystems, estuaries, manatee, osprey, sponges
Sight words from the previous sets can be found here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Short-Vowel-Books-1-6-4503189; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Blends-Books-7-11-4517745; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Long-Vowels-with-Magic-E-Books-12-15-5049974; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Consonant-Digraphs-Books-16-21-5069275; https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Decodable-Non-Fiction-Open-Vowels-and-Vowel-Digraphs-Teams-Books-22-28-5479675;
Additional titles, focusing on a full range of phonics skills, will be available in coming months.