Decode! booklets have already introduced closed, open, silent-e, consonant-le, and r-controlled syllable types. Decode! Book 8 (1) introduces the sixth and final syllable type, the vowel team syllable.
A vowel team syllable (vv) is a syllable containing two adjacent vowels (a vowel digraph) that have a long, short, or diphthong sound. This booklet focuses on vowel team syllables that have long or short sounds. (The booklet also covers the trigraph igh and the quadrigraph eigh.) Please note: Vowel team syllables that contain the diphthongs ou, ow, oi, oy, au, aw) will be covered in a subsequent booklet.)
Decode! 8 contains:
(1) Fluency practice sheets comprising one- and multi-syllable words that contain vowel team syllables. Each page comprises:
* A key word/illustration for the phonogram (grapheme);
* Real and some nonsense words featuring the phonogram;
* Sentences including words with the featured phonogram.
Students are encouraged to repeatedly read any or all of the words and sentences. Research shows that repeated reading aids fluency. These sheets may be especially useful for teachers using the Orton-Gillingham approach to reading instruction with older struggling readers.
(2) Fluency passages of controlled texts that feature specific phonograms in vowel team syllables. A student may read these passages to demonstrate mastery.
(3) Worksheets that explore the spelling generalizations of ai and ay, and oa, oe, and ow. Answers are included.
(4) Homophone Match Games: The booklet includes cards that feature 2- and 3-card sets of homophones. Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings and different spellings. These cards may be used in a variety of card games in order to help students distinguish the meanings of word pairs. Two games - Memory (Concentration) and Rummy - are described.