Decode! Book 5 contains fluency practice sheets for
* one- and multi-syllable words that contain y as a vowel and
* words that contain open syllables. An open syllable usually has a single long vowel sound, but there are exceptions and some of these are also featured in the publication.
Most pages comprise:
* A key word/illustration for the phonogram;
* Words featuring the phonogram;
* Sentences including words with the featured phonogram.
In a section on syllable division of multi-syllable words that include open syllables, students try to identify individual syllables before reading the words and sentences. (Answers are provided on the back page.)
Students are encouraged to repeatedly read any or all of the words and sentences. Research shows that repeated reading aids fluency. These sheets may be especially useful for teachers using the Orton-Gillingham approach to reading instruction with older struggling readers.
Also included are fluency passages comprising controlled text that feature open syllables and words with y as a vowel. A student may read these passages to demonstrate mastery.
Finally, a fun board game, VOLCANO, is included so that students may review words featured in this publication.