I created this DECODING DETECTIVES: SPOOKY ROOTS as an October / Halloween supplement to my already existing units!
Decoding Detectives is a Ready-to-Go Weekly Vocabulary Program that I developed with the Common Core State Standards in mind. It helps Student “Detectives” unlock and decode the meaning of Greek and Latin Roots.
The activities lend well to a quick weekly study of the five roots and words with those roots (cognates). Engaging activities allow for repeated practice and application of the roots and associated words.
Use the root/word studies as morning work or even a Literacy Center Station. Materials are very good for individual and cooperative work, as well as homework activities. Use them HOWEVER you see fit!
Included with this 10 page SPOOKY GREEK / LATIN Unit:
• List of the GREEK AND LATIN Roots and their definitions
• Over 15 Cognates (words with the root within)
• Common Core State Standards that are met
• Foldable to Make and Take
• Matching Activity
• CLOZE Story that allow application of root words
(cognates) in a sentence using Context Clues
• Themed Spooky Root Choice Menu with 6 activities
• Unit Quiz
• Answer Sheet
Included are ideas and HOW I USE my "Decoding Detectives Program" in MY Classroom!