These multisyllabic words activities with reading passage are based on our second hip-hop song about the life of Frederick Douglass. The song is written as a reading passage that explores Douglass' life as an adult, beginning with his escape from slavery, career as an abolitionist, and his involvement with the American Civil War. If your students enjoy rap or hip-hop music, they will love decoding multisyllabic words while learning about this civil rights leader.
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics
- a brief lesson on syllables and tips on how to count them in words
- 14 "How many syllables?" activity questions where students will listen to and read the song lyrics to determine how many syllables are in specific words from the song
- 12 "Syllable hunt!" activity questions where students will read through the song lyrics, finding words that have 1, 2, 3, and 4 syllables and write them in the corresponding columns
- 12 "Divide the syllables" activity tasks where students will separate words that they have found into their syllabic parts
- a "Syllables on Beast Mode!" challenge activity where students will find a rare 5 syllable word in the song lyrics and write it correctly separated into its syllabic parts.
How to use this activity:
- Read through the "What are syllables?" explanation with students. Answer any questions that they may have.
- Review the steps in "Tip 1" and "Tip 2" for identifying syllables. Give students additional examples for using the 2 tips as needed.
- Have students complete the "How many syllables?" activity while listening to and reading along with the song lyrics. Review with students once they have had sufficient time to answer.
- Have students complete the remaining activities above. Review and provide examples for students as necessary. Refer students to the syllable explanations and tips on page 1 for help.
*Song lyrics have been modified with larger font and more space between each line of text for easier reading.
*Leave a review if you liked this activity.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Music production credit: Brandon Coffer
*Photo from Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass
Used under / Originals have been digitally mixed with other media.
*Font for "Rap Opera ... Kids. History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com