This multisyllabic words passage activity is based on our Jackie Robinson, biography rap song. The song explores Jackie Robinson's youth, his excellence and pursuit in sports, and the events that led him to play Major League Baseball.
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics for use as a reading passage
- a brief lesson on syllables and tips on how to count them in words
- 14 "How many syllables?" activity questions where students will listen to and read the song lyrics to determine how many syllables are in specific words from the song
- 12 "Syllable hunt!" activity questions where students will read through the song lyrics, finding words that have 1, 2, 3 and 4 syllables and write them in the corresponding columns
- 12 "Divide the syllables" activity tasks where students will separate words that they have found into their syllabic parts
- a "Syllables on Beast Mode!" challenge activity where students will find a rare 5 syllable word in the song lyrics and write it correctly separated into its syllabic parts.
How to use this activity:
- Read through the "What are syllables?" explanation with students. Answer any questions that they may have.
- Review the steps in "Tip 1" and "Tip 2" for identifying syllables. Give students additional examples for using the 2 tips as needed.
- Have students complete the "How many syllables?" activity while listening to and reading along with the song lyrics. Review with students once they have had sufficient time to answer.
- Have students complete the remaining activities above. Review and provide examples for students as necessary. Refer students to the syllable explanations and tips on page 1 for help.
*Leave a review if you enjoyed this activity.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2020 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
By Bob Sandberg, Look photographerRestoration by Adam Cuerden - This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID ppmsc.00048., Public Domain,
Used under CC BY (2.0) / Originals have been digitally mixed with other media.
*Font for "Rap Opera ... Kids. History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com