This 12 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson is intended to help you assess how well students are able to decompose numbers less than or equal to 10 into pairs in more than one way. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Anchoring to 5 and 10
• Identify different representations of a number sentence
• One to one correspondence
• Structuring numbers
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grade, with emphasis on:
Operations and Algebraic Thinking K.OA
• Understanding addition as putting together and adding to, and understanding subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
2. Look for and make use of structure.
3. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
This product is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License.