How did specific technological developments during WWI impact the soldiers fighting it?
Trench warfare characterized the bloody "Great War" 100 years ago. Advances in technology during this time period was the primary factor that compelled soldiers on both sides to dig in. But how did soldiers feel about this new style of warfare? Students will step into the trenches and come to understand how WWI warfare altered soldiers' experiences of war.
1) Begin with a Bell Ringer that challenges students to think about legitimate reasons for going to war, specifically as they pertain to WWI.
2) Watch a short video clip that simplifies the complexi nature of how "The Great War" started.
3) Listen to an audio recording about how new forms of technology in WWI and how it impacted perceptions of warfare forever.
4) Watch a short video clip of historians providing their own analysis of life in WWI trenches.
5) Read and answer questions from primary source letters from soldiers fighting in the trenches.
6) Conclude with a "War Letter" exit ticket, compelling the students to utilize what was learned throughout the lesson to compose a short letter home conveying their feelings about warfare in WWI.
Extend the Lesson Resources Included!