Democracy ~ Unit Bundle
is a Social Studies unit with the objective of helping students understand the principles expressed in documents and symbols shaping constitutional democracy in the United States.
Missouri Learning Standards ~ Social Studies:
• Describe the historical context for the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
• Explain how the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights affected people in the United States prior to c. 1800.
Lessons in this unit:
• Declaration of Independence
• U.S. Constitution
• Bill of Rights (All 10 Amendments)
• American Citizenship
• Founding Fathers of America
• National Symbols of America
Each lesson in the unit includes the following resources:
• Quick Pack 5-Day Lesson - Overview, Lesson Outline, Learning Goal, Essential Question, Power Word Poster, Power Word Teacher Page, Informational Text, Cloze Notes and Key, Strategies Questions, Nonfiction Graphic Organizer, Foldable for Interactive Notebook, Power Questions and Key, Words to Know and Key, Quick Quiz and Key, Critical Thinking Prompt
• PowerPoint, Vocabulary Graphic Organizer, and Vocabulary Check - PowerPoint presentations (content identical to informational text in Quick Pack), vocabulary graphic organizer booklet, and vocabulary check and answer key
• Task Cards - 32 task cards, answer cards, answer form, and answer key
BONUS resources available ONLY in this unit bundle:
• Unit Vocabulary List
• Unit Project Choice Board
• Unit Research and Writing Project
• Unit Assessment and Answer Key
I completed this unit with my students over a period of 6 weeks. If you include the bonus resources, plan on extending the length of the unit. However, the unit can also easily be shortened to suit your schedule and students’ needs – just use those activities/pages that fit the time you have to teach this subject.
Click on the links below for more information about each of the lessons included in this unit bundle:
• Declaration of Independence ~ Lesson Bundle
• U.S. Constitution ~ Lesson Bundle
• Bill of Rights (All 10 Amendments) ~ Lesson Bundle
• American Citizenship ~ Lesson Bundle
• Founding Fathers of America ~ Lesson Bundle
• National Symbols of America ~ Lesson Bundle
Download these FREE related resources:
• Democracy Freebies
• Main Idea and Details ~ Democracy Passages
Happy Teaching ~ The Reflective Educator